Once again the issue of safety on the N2 in the Western Cape has been highlighted, when just recently, a woman was robbed after she had a puncture and was forced to stop on the N2. Three men ran to her car, smashed her window and grabbed her cell phone and hand bag. …and all this at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. Fortunately she was not harmed!
There are various safety tips that one can take into account – although they are not 100% “hijack proof”:
- Keep all handbags and valuables in the boot
- Keep your window slightly open – this makes it more difficult to break the window
- Fit anti-hijacking smash and grab coatings to all your car windows.
- Keep emergency numbers on quick dial on your cell phone:
- ER24: 084 124
- City of Cape Town Emergency Control Room: 021 480 7700
- CSO Community Security Organisation: 086 18 911 18
- Tow Truck Service: 021 703 2233, 082 658 0260
- Cape Town Airport Police Station: 021 927 2900
- Airport Security: 021 937 1229
- Arrive Alive (to report bad an incident): 0861 400 800
5. Do not stop, if you can help it.
6. Fit Run Flat Tyres if you can – Run Flat tyres are specifically designed with re-inforced sidewalls, so that when you get a flat, you can still continue with your journey for up to 80 km at a speed of 80 km/h. Run Flat Tyres keep the tyre on the rim and support the weight of the car, even with a complete loss of air pressure.
However, only specific cars can be fitted with Run Flat Tyres. In order to use Run Flat tyres your car must be equipped with a tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), which warns the driver if a tyre has lost air pressure. Without a TPMS, a driver has no way of knowing when a Run Flat tyre has deflated, and could damage the tyre by driving for longer than recommended.
Check your vehicle’s manual or manufacturer’s website to see if your car has a TPMS system, and to ensure that your car’s manufacturer has approved the use of self-supporting tyres.
Tyrezone branches supply Goodyear Run on Flat Tyres at Hi-Q Brackenfell, Hi-Q Parow and Hi-Q Helderberg as well as the Continental Self Supporting Runflat (SSR) tyres at Tyrezone ContiPartner Durbanville